explorations of the clumsy "cooks"

Saturday 30 April 2011

The Birth of Awesomeness!




Of all the special occasions in my life, my birthday would probably be the least I am eagerly anticipating.

The enthusiasm I have on my birthday is weirdly going downhill as I grow old. Maybe because it’s the realization that as you grow old, having your birthday celebrated means you’re the one who’s going to spend for it. There are no moms and pops that will give you a party and buy you a cake. No ninangs and ninongs giving you gifts. This is now the point in your life you realize that, as a grown-up, you are now responsible of making that day memorable.

So in the advent of my looming 25th birthday, I realized that I have the choice to make it fun and unforgettable. That’s why when Patrick insisted that I should probably celebrate my birthday with another cookfest with the explocook gang, I texted Maggie right away if we can abuse her house again and she said yes. 

First on the birthday menu is the Squash Soup entrée by Portia. This one is probably the best tasting soup I had, at par with 5 star-hotel gourmet soup, slash the bourgeoisie price. That soup really paid off Portia’s non-stop stirring and taste-testing. 

Savory Squash Soup by Portia


Then, since it’s my birthday, Patrick made the Pork Nuggets in Pepper and Lemon, which is an original recipe of mine. But my gosh, his version tasted better! Probably because he added a very aromatic ginger dip that really complimented to the lemony taste of the pork.

Porkiness is next to Happiness!


And then, Maggie made the grand Grilled Spatchcocked Chicken with New Potatoes and Asparagus in Herby Yoghurt . That one came as a surprise because of its presentation! That’s the moment when I realized this 25th birthday mine would be memorably awesome! 

Add caption


Also, prior to the cookfest/birthday celeb, Maggie said she’ll bake me a cake and asked what kind of cake I want, to which I responded, lightning fast, CHOCOLATE! And then she made the notoriously and deliciously intoxicating Death By Chocolate . The cake was a revelation! It really made my day extra extra special. The cake was sinfully good!



And even though it was my birthday, I was not exempted on contributing for the feasts. I prepared my simple Tuna and Tomato Pasta and the Baked (Burnt) Cheezy Potato, which I’m proud to say that they had enjoyed it (I think so).
 


My 25th birthday celebration really proved that it is our choice to make our special day memorable. We choose to be happy. And as I blow the candles entrenched on the Death By Chocolate, I secretly wonder how on earth is my 26th birthday celebration will match the happiness I had on my first adulthood birthday.     




No comments:

Post a Comment